Monday 26 August 2013

I'm back, and where I'm heading next!

And I'm back!  Sorry to have been gone for so long, but not to worry I have plenty coming your way!  First up a little explanation of why I disappeared for almost 3 weeks...I moved house!  It was quite an entertaining move, having to launch the king-size mattress up and over the first floor balcony whilst the next door neighbors were chuckling to themselves was quite possibly the highlight.  I reckon the architect designed this house as a bit of a challenge!

I'm all settled in now and ready to take my designing to the next level and put as much time as I can into it. It's so fantastic to be able to chase your dream, I can't even describe the excitement that flows through me when I think about where this journey may take me.  I'm sure many of you will have heard of the quote 'Do what you love and you will never have to work a day in your life' or 'Do what you love, love what you do' and it is so true! It never feels like work when I'm designing, even the admin and marketing side, I love it all.


The wonderful thing is I can share this journey with you all, I can celebrate my wins with you and commiserate my failures with you.  I have so many plans that I have no idea where to start, I've plans to start my own line of greetings cards, to gain many more licensing deals and to build up my freelance business.  In the long run (as I mentioned in my previous post) I'd love to be able to help new designers to the industry, and help them build their own businesses.

It's quite funny for me to pick this out as one of my goals and I'm sure my University tutors would be shocked to hear I would be interested in lecturing young and new designers!  I've always been quiet and shy, but this only means people underestimate me, my Psychology A level teacher thought I was too quiet and that I wasn't understanding the information when I first started.  The information was most definitely going in and not coming out the other ear!  I got an A in my first exam (only 2 in the whole year did!), and it was safe to say he was pleasantly surprised!

Throughout University I was fairly quiet and would often keep my presentations quite concise as public speaking wasn't my favourite thing.  It's completely different when you want something for yourself though, when you are enjoying your work you give it 110%.  I've mentioned I am quite and shy, but I try not to let this stop me, I've single handedly designed and sourced costumes for the Musical Theatre society's 'Spring Awakening' production (wow, what a challenge that was!), I volunteered for Asthma UK children's summer holidays, I've joined quite a few university societies without roping a friend into coming with me (Backstage, Basketball, Scribe Magazine) and I signed myself up to help at the Olympic Torch event in Leeds where I was an Artist Liaison.  For some these may not sound that impressive, but every time I push myself to go beyond my comfort zone even when I'm incredibly nervous!

What are your dreams and goals? message me below or email me as I would love to compile a post about everyone's aspirations =)

2 comments:

  1. I am quite shy too. Inspiring to hear how you challenge yourself in these ways and push through the discomfort. I know how hard it can be. As for my dreams and goals, I think walking into a high street shop and seeing my designs on products is my ultimate dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this inspiring blog post... and thanks for those motivational quotes too... !
    I haven't much thought of my BIG goal yet, but you have made me think about it... Have a lovely day !

    ReplyDelete