Friday 2 August 2013

Catch Up with Sarah Fleming

Carrying on with my ‘Catch Up’ series where I find out what designers I have already interviewed before to see how they are doing and what they have been up to.  Well today I have Sarah Fleming whose beautifully intricate work I showcased back in December, well her work has really evolved and I can’t wait to show you below.  First make sure you have a look at what she showcased in December!

So Sarah, what have you achieved since the last feature, do you have any news you’d like to share?

Since my last feature I have been very busy! During February and March, I interned in Australia. It was the most amazing experience, I loved every minute! I spent my days drawing and designing overlooking the most beautiful scenery and travelling in and around Melbourne meeting so many lovely, talented interior professionals. I have included a few snippets of the designs I created and the product mock ups created for the Visual Imprint (formerly Belladonna Digital Imprint) product shoot. (Please note that these images are copyright to Visual Imprint the full collection can be seen here). I gained such a fantastic insight into the Australian market and current trends over there, and have developed some great links. I hope to go back in the near future.

When I came back to the UK, I was filled with inspiration and motivation. I have been looking into getting a few different products manufactured with my designs on - notebooks, pocket mirrors etc, which I am hoping to have ready in time for Christmas. However, a lot of my time has been spent working on a calendar for 2014 which I have created and illustrated from scratch. This is very near to completion so you will all be able to see it soon, but here are a few snippets of other designs I have created for my own personal use and for various competitions I have entered.

That sounds fantastic! I’m so jealous you got to jet off to Australia, it sounds like you had a pretty amazing experience.  I can’t wait to see how you use your inspiration and to see your future products, keep us posted!

Why did you want to be a designer and what do you like about patterns?

I have always loved art. As a little girl I was happiest with a pencil in my hand, doodling the days away. I loved spending all of my time being creative and it was something that made me excited. I think studying Textiles at college is where my love for drawing and pattern really started to develop and I knew it was what I wanted to study at degree level to pursue as a career.

I love everything about pattern, and that it can be found everywhere! I find myself constantly on the look out for new inspiration and I am always armed with my camera, just incase something catches my eye. 

I’d love to know what you have learnt in the past 8 months and how you feel you’ve grown as a designer?

In the past 8 months, I would say I have learnt so much about myself. I am developing into quite a confident, brave designer more willing to take risks and try new things. I think that taking the opportunity to go to Australia has helped with this, and definitely opened my eyes to the world of design. I have always wondered whether I am good enough, as I think most designers worry at some point in their careers, but I am full of self belief now, confident in my abilities and enjoy the chances that I get to put my work out there for people to see. 

Yes I think most designers have the fear of not being good enough, I know I do, it is wonderful to hear that you are confident and I can definitely see you going far so keep at it!

Lastly, what does the future hold for you?

As for the future, I am going to continue drawing and designing - working on my calendar and developing products and hope that everyone else enjoys my work as much as I enjoy creating it! 


It’s been great to have a catch up with you Sarah and I know I can’t wait to see where you are in another 8 months or so =)  Here are some of Sarah’s designs from her time at Visual Imprint and some of her own patterns.






No comments:

Post a Comment