Friday 26 July 2013

Designer Feature - Sarah Bagshaw

Today's designer is Sarah Bagshaw, Sarah started with a degree in Fine Art, she then went on to get a masters in Surface Pattern and a PGCert in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.  With this she has been a lecturer in Art and Design for the past 12 years.  A few years ago she started selling her work through Etsy which is where she was found by the owner of US design studio Hunt & Gather who she now works for.  Over the past couple of years she has also promoted herself on various websites which are starting to pay off through regular enquiries for work!  Fantastic news =)

So why did you want to be a designer and what do you love about pattern designing?


Whilst studying for my fine art degree I became interested in pattern after my Mum packed me off with some 1960s bath towels. I found it difficult to justify my pattern paintings in a fine art context hence me doing a surface pattern design. I make one-off pattern designs that are not in repeat and I guess its the repetitive (and relaxing) nature of making them that I really enjoy.


How would you describe your style and what is your favourite medium to work with?


I would describe my style as colourful, bold, quirky, simple and experimental. I make drawings, paintings, collages, photographs and prints very quick
ly using low tech methods and then manipulate them a little or a lot on Photoshop....but I like to retain the imperfections in the final pieces - I don't like them to look too slick or finished.


And finally where do you get your inspiration from?

Inspiration can come from anywhere and everywhere - natural or man-made patterns, art works, mid-century design and through experimenting with mark making techniques. I love happy accidents. I sometimes like to concentrate on a particular shape and explore how many ways I can use it.


It's lovely to have a mini interview from Sarah! Her work is wonderfully bright and bold which I can see working exceptionally well on long floaty summer dresses, cute little tops and many more!  What do you think?










No comments:

Post a Comment